THE 150-year-old Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society helped mark its special anniversary with an outing and a cake.
Forty people joined the Society’s annual walk which took them from Ravenglass to Muncaster Castle.
A special anniversary cake, prepared by Karen Clark of the Muncaster Castle bakery, was cut by Peter Frost-Pennington.
The cake shows, on the left, the Society’s first excavation at Low Borrow Bridge Roman Fort in the 1880s and on the right is new technology in the form of a 2015 geophys scan of the same site paid for by a grant from the Society for Lunesdale Archaeology Group.
A ride on part of the Ravenglass and Eskdale line was included in the outing, a visit to the remains of the Roman bath house and the 12th century Muncaster village church, close to Muncaster Castle.
The county heritage society appears to have first visited the castle in August 1881.