The terrace is the finest man-made garden structure at Muncaster. As well as extending and remodelling the Castle in the early 1780's, the first Lord Muncaster carried out huge improvements to the gardens. He planted hundreds of thousands of trees, built the grand entrance gates and laid out the half mile long terrace with its summer houses which were renovated in 1890 and 1999.
The alternating yew pillars and box hedge planted in the 19th Century provide protection from the chill winds which can blow from the high fells. This allows many plants to flourish here including some Mediterranean species which elsewhere in the UK would require a glass house in winter.
The terrace links to Church Wood, home to many winter flowering rhododendrons and to a colourful collection of Japanese maples which are at their best in summer.