How to find us
Muncaster is on the A595 one mile south of Ravenglass. Unless advance arrangements have been made with us to enter at the Main Gate, please ask your driver to park in the Coach park. If travelling from the south, this entrance is on the left ca 1/3 mile south of our main car park. As the left turn is tight, larger coaches may find it easier to proceed to the main car park, turn around there and reapproach from the north. If coming from the north, go past the Main Gate car park and take the next turning on the right. A guide will meet the coach at your specified arrival time.
- Free car and coach park.
- Fully accessible toilets located in the Stable Yard.
- There is a well equipped children’s playground and a number of picnic sites.
- The Wildlife Pond is home to native water birds and other pond life.
- We are able to offer the use of one of our function rooms for the duration of your stay to store bags and coats and to use at lunch time if wet (depending upon availability).
- The Carriage House Gift Shop and the Owl Garden Tea Room offer a wide variety of affordable mementoes.
All programmes can be modified to meet your individual requirements. Parts of different programmes can be combined or adapted accordingly. At Muncaster we are open to new ideas and want to work with schools to provide a memorable and valuable learning experience.
We will try and accommodate any special needs and requirements. Please advise us at the time of booking. Fully accessible toilets are available in the Stable Yard. Please also see our Access Statement.
- Special Needs – We have an equal opportunities policy and welcome visitors with special needs. We allow one adult free entry for every special needs child.
- Hearing Loop – A Hearing Loop system is available on request in the Castle.
- Visually Impaired visitors – A large print guide are available at the Castle by prior arrangement.
- Disabled Access – There is wheelchair access to the Gardens, Hawk & Owl Centre and Muncaster Castle (lower level only).
- Limited Mobility – Please let us know and we can advise.
Wet Weather Alternatives
In the event of unfavourable weather conditions (which are not unknown in West Cumbria!!) the day’s activities can be rearranged in consultation with yourself. One of our Function Rooms can be provided as a central base for your visit.
In order to plan your visit, teachers may visit Muncaster free of charge by prior arrangement. Please telephone our Reception Office to arrange your visit. We strongly recommend you visit beforehand, particularly if you are new to the venue.
On your preliminary visit you can:
- Orientate yourself from the coach parking area to the venue
- Know the locations of amenities including toilets and lunch room areas
- Ask a member staff any specifics about the programme or its activities
- Make your own risk assessment
- Generate ideas for your pre-visit and post-visit classroom work with your pupils
When preparing your own, you are welcome to refer to our risk assessment for visits by young people.
Please email or phone to check the availability for your planned visit.
Once your date is confirmed download the booking form and return the completed details of your visit as soon as possible.
Confirmation of your booking along with a suggested itinerary (if tours are required) will be sent either by e-mail or post.
These forms are for schools & colleges. Please contact
Pupils must be accompanied by a responsible adult at all times. One adult is admitted free per 10 children.
The maximum number of students for each of our Themed Study Tours is 20 – 25. Larger groups can be split into smaller groups and have more than one tour.
Payment for your visit can be made upon your arrival by either Cash, Cheque or Credit / debit card. We can also send an invoice for your visit. We will require confirmation of the numbers for your visit two weeks prior to your visit and we will send you the invoice once we have received this information.
A late arrival may result in cutting short the first activities planned in order to get your visit back on schedule. To avoid this, please allow plenty of time for travel.