26 Oct - 1 Nov 2014
Dare you visit one of Britain's most haunted castles this Halloween?!
Don't forget to come in fancy dress (prizes for the best dressed children!) and a TORCH would be a smart idea if you're here after dark.
Please allow plenty of time to arrive, park and make your way into the gardens. The 30th-1st are expected to be particularly busy with queues for some activities.
See below for what’s on this year!
What's Halloween like at Muncaster? Have a look at Comely Media's video below, which was filmed at the 2013 Halloween Week;
So what's on where this Halloween Week?
Down at the Maze:
- Frightsville Village down at the Scary Maze. Come and join us on a journey through a deranged and twisted land of visions, twisted tales and all those things that go bump in the night (and all NEW for 2014!), followed by the Scary Maze Experience itself (slightly less frightening in the daytime for our littler visitors).
Frightsville opens 2-5.30pm, CLOSES FOR A BREAK and then reopens 6.15-8pm.
Please note: we crank up the fear factor at Frightsville and the Maze in the evening so this may not be suitable for children under 12.
This attraction is always popular, there may be a queue on busy days and possibly not everyone will get in. Fortunately, there are lots of other things to do...
...in and around the Castle itself...
- Castle open for daytime visits12 noon to 4pm
- after 4pm Castle Ghost Tours commence! This year's Ghost Tour is a new production for 2014 by the Drama Department of the University of Cumbria at Carlisle. Castle Ghost Tours sell out every year so pre-booking is essential. Be at Tom Fools Tree 10 minutes before your tour time.
- Meet the Birds 2.30pm on the Castle front lawn
- Heron Happy Hour 4pm on the Cannon Bank
- 31st Oct & 1st Nov the Fool of Muncaster Abi Collins performs on the front lawn at 3.15 and 5.15pm on the 31st, 3.15 and 7.45pm on the 1st
- Foppletwig the Genie Hunter’s cannon firing show 6pm by the Castle front door.
...and up in the Stable Courtyard area...
- The Ghostly Grotto 2-6pm for face painting, free children’s crafts and sign up for a ‘Make your own ink and write a potion’ workshop with the Black Monk (every 30 mins 2.30 to 5.15). Potion workshops continue from 6.30pm with no pre-booking required.
- The Creepy Owl Crypt 1-5pm in the Old Dairy for kids' crafts in aid of the World Owl Trust
- 29th Oct to 1st Nov, our own Creeping Kate’s Kitchen café is augmented by the Coffee Carriage, Georgian Farmhouse Mulled Wine, Chilli Koko Indian Ocean cuisine and Lakeland Steaks, all cooking up a treat around the Stable Courtyard area.
- 31st Oct & 1st Nov, the Two Headed Sheep Morris Dancers perform for us (after 6pm)
…and out and about in the gardens generally…
- after dusk, the Darkest Muncaster Illuminations with a mile-long route through the beautifully lit trees and shrubs that tower either side of the main drive plus sound and light show onto the Castle frontage.
- Spooky Owl Tours 6-8pm at half-hourly intervals with the World Owl Trust, bookable on the day at the Carriage House gift shop, proceeds to benefit the Trust (£2.50 for adults, £1 for children).
- Jason the Fire Juggler 5.30, 6.30 & 7.30 (or 7.15 on 1st Nov) on the playground lawn
- Mane Events with horse and carriage rides on the main drive.
SAT 1ST NOV ONLY, FIREWORKS ON THE CASTLE FRONT LAWN at ca 8.30pm, a great finale to Halloween week (please note that this activity is weather-dependent. We use family-friendly no-bang fireworks).
Click HERE for the week's timetables (NB subject to change, but it'll give you an idea).
Halloween General Entry Ticket 1
Castle, Gardens, Owl Centre, Frightsville and Maze, Ghostly Grotto, Darkest Muncaster Illuminations. Ticket prices - Adult - £14.00, Child - £8.00, Under 5s Free.
Save 15% by buying online.
Halloween General Entry Ticket 2
Gardens, Owl Centre, Frightsville and Maze, Ghostly Grotto, Darkest Muncaster Illuminations.
Ticket prices - Adult - £11.00, Child - £6.50, Under 5s Free.
Save 15% by buying online.
Castle Ghost Tour Ticket
Castle, Gardens, Owl Centre, Frightsville and Maze, Ghostly Grotto, Darkest Muncaster Illuminations, Evening Castle Ghost Tour at pre-booked time.
Ticket prices - Adult - £20.50, Child - £8.50, Under 5s - Free.
Save 15% by buying online below!
NB Ghost tour tickets are taken offline at 3pm on the day. Thereafter any remaining tours can only be purchased onsite as upgrades to general entry.
Friends of Muncaster? - free entry all week! to Castle, Gardens, Owl Centre, Frightsville and Maze, Ghostly Grotto, Darkest Muncaster Illuminations and 50% discount off Ghost Tour ticket prices. Enter your membership number in the promotional code field. Come back on Saturday for the fireworks!
Coachman's Quarters guests have free entry to Gardens, Owl Centre, Maze, Ghostly Grotto, Darkest Muncaster Illuminations, a small upgrade to visit the Castle and discounted Ghost Tours - ask for details when booking.
Book your Ghost Tour tickets below now!
The ticket selector is loading.