1 Night School and Youth Group Camps at Muncaster Castle
Why not take your outdoor learning adventures out of your own grounds and incorporate a night under the stars, bell tent camping at Muncaster? Children and staff can create their own Muncaster adventures whilst getting back to nature and bathing in the natural beauty and diverse wildlife of Muncasters extensive gardens. Below is a sample itinerary for a 1 night camp.
1 night camp sample itinerary:
- 10am onwards. Children and staff will arrive at the start of the day for an exciting day of self-led adventure. There will be undercover space for you to leave all your camping kit, packed lunches, outdoor learning gear, games etc until you set up camp later in the day. As Muncaster Campers you will have full access to all that Muncaster has to offer, including Castle tour, Gardens, Hawk and Owl Centre, Adventure Playground, Yeti Quarry, Giant Swing, Eco Barn, Bird Hide and breath-taking daily flying displays at 11.30am, 2pm and 4pm. You are welcome to use the woodlands, ponds and gardens for outdoor learning activities, we just request that you discuss and share your ideas with our Education Officer prior to your visit, to enable us to provide you with advice about the perfect location for your chosen activity and so we know what everyone is up to!
- 3pm - time to set up camp! Muncaster will provide you with a blank flag to decorate during the weeks prior to your camping adventure. You will hoist your flag on our special camp flagpole, so it flies high above your tents to mark your territory and claim your camping ground. This is a time for everyone to move their gear into their tent, set up their bed for the night and get used to their new surroundings. There will be plenty of open space near the tents for games and activities.
- 5pm - teatime! Your evening meal will be served in the Old Laundry function room.
- Evening entertainment- You will just about have the place to yourselves! The perfect time to maybe enjoy a campfire, play games on the playground lawn, create some land art, enjoy activities in the woods or run off some steam on the adventure play areas.
- Once the campfire has gone out and everyone’s ready for bed it’s time to experience a cosy night camping in your bell tents.
- Breakfast will be served in the Old Laundry.
- Tents and camping gear will be packed up, removed from the bell tents and the flag will be lowered, but the fun does not need to stop, your group can stay for the day! A packed lunch can be pre ordered at the time of booking if you wish to enjoy all that Muncaster has to offer for a second full day. There will be an indoor space for you to leave all your gear until you head back home.
Muncasters Head of Experiences will work with you from your initial enquiry to help create the perfect camp experience for your group. For enquiries, preliminary visits and booking please contact email@example.com
We have 5m canvas bell tents available allowing for plenty of flexibility to accommodate your group in single sex bell tents with separate bell tent accommodation for staff. Bookings are available for groups of over 14 pupils.
- Year 1-3 = 10-12 children per tent (on roll mats)
- Year 4-6 = 8-10 children per tent (on roll mats)
- Adult staff = 4-6 per tent (on single airbeds)
• Up to ten, 5m canvas bell tents to accommodate your group.
• One roll mat per pupil.
• One single air bed per staff member.
• Communal outdoor canvas shelter.
• Fire bowl, firewood, camping kettle.
• 24 hours access to toilets and wash facilities.
• Drinking water.
• Flagpole to fly your camp flag!
• A sleeping bag each - 3 season sleeping bag recommended.
• Suitable warm, outdoor clothing and footwear. Old clothes are best. It can get muddy, and the grass can be wet around the tents, so wellies are great!
• Wash kit – toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, towel etc.
• Sunscreen and sun hat.
• Torch and batteries.
• Bin liners for dirty clothing.
• Pillows and extra blankets.
• Outdoor games and activities.
• Individual water bottles.
• Your teddy.
Additional resources are available for self-led activities in the Muncaster Gardens. These can be requested at time of booking. Subject to availability.
• Fire circle with firewood and log seating in a woodland setting.
• Tarpaulins, hazel sticks and jute string for den building.
• Minibeast spotting kits.
• Pond dipping kits.
• Orienteering course maps for all ages and abilities.
• School/parents provide lunch for the first day.
• Evening meals. Provided by Muncaster. A two-course meal will be provided for staff and children. Menu choices will be agreed, and choices will be made before arrival. Individual dietary needs will be catered for.
• Breakfast. Breakfast baps – choose from bacon, sausage or vegan sausage, cereals, fruit juice and hot drinks for staff.
• Packed lunches can be ordered for the final day of each camp as an additional extra should you wish to stay for the full day (additional £5.50 per person).
1. No shoes in the tent, no socks out of the tent.
2. Open all 3 zips to get in and out.
3. No running near camp.
4. No swinging on the poles.
5. Always close the doors when you leave the tent.
6. No food or drink in the tent.
For a minimum of 14 pupils. Muncaster one-night camps costs £46 per child, we allow 1 free adult for every 10 children. Additional adults are charged at the child rate. To check availability and book please contact firstname.lastname@example.org