Muncaster as a location
Muncaster Castle, gardens and estate offers a wide range of diverse filming locations for television, film, and commercial productions.
Accessibility for Film Crews
Muncaster is located on the West Coast of Cumbria on the A595. It benefits from good transport links by road, rail and an area for private helicopter landing.
Facilities for filming at Muncaster
Catering and accommodation options on site and at our nearby hotels and holiday cottages.
Dedicated team of staff.
To discuss filming opportunities at Muncaster and to arrange site visits, please contact by email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01229 717614.
Video reel coming soon.
Locations and Backdrops
Set at the only point where the Lake District meets the coast, we have a uniquely diverse range of settings within the boundary and control of the estate. This includes:
- Grand historic interiors of the Castle: Octagonal Library with gallery, Grand Dining Room, Great Hall, Drawing Room Portrait Gallery, Haunted Tapestry Bedroom, Four-poster Bedrooms and extensive servants’ quarters some of which are derelict.
- Pink Granite Castle Exteriors and Front Lawn that includes 3 castle towers complete with battlements and even a couple of cannons.
- The gardens span multiple spaces from flat grasslands and meadows to forested hillsides complete with collections of rare rhododendrons for which we are well known.
- The landscaping emphasises the height of the trees – which often make people gasp. Lots of the trees are over 300 years old.
- Georgian Terrace (1/2 mile long) complete with wooden summerhouses and panoramic views of Scafell and The Lake District fells
- Areas that overlook the Irish Sea towards the Isle of Man.
- Devoke Water, either the biggest tarn or smallest lake in The Lake District, this 1 km long body of water is romantic surrounded by iconic fells and completely undiscovered. It has a single decaying boat house that we own.
- Muncaster Tarn has a unique feel surrounded by pine trees with floating boggy islands reminiscent of the death marches from The Lord of the Rings.
- River locations along the River Esk which is very diverse being a nice small river upstream becoming a tidal estuary that sees large change on a daily basis due to the tide.
- Period small hotels: The Pennington Hotel and Sella Park Country House Hotel.
- Period domestic properties: Muncaster operates over 30 tenanted properties that predominantly date from the Victorian era or before. Hugely varied in setting and size, we have a unique offering with the diversity of offering.
- Working farms and Barn: We work closely with our tenant farmers who have multiple agricultural properties, livestock and over 600 acres of land on which they farm cows and sheep.
- Sand Dunes and Beach: we own Drigg Beach which has extensive sand dunes.